Sunday, March 8, 2009

My faults.. caught on tape.


You may wonder why I would post a video like this. Well, the other day, when running over to greet Anna, the hugging guru, she made me come to a terrible realization.
I am less than adequate when it comes to giving hugs.
Okay. I'll admit it. I am NOT the most touchy person you've ever met, and really, hugging is not my favorite thing in the world... but alas, I took place in a hugging intervention. After all, Anna taught me that the first step is to admit that you're wrong. I did, and I am happy to say I am improving. The next time you see me, feel free to see just how good I have become!


Not only do I evidentially suck at hugging, I also am bad at trying new foods. Okay. I admit it! I suffer from EFF.
Extreme Food Fear.
(video coming soon)

This video is of me being forced to try a kiwi. It was definitely an interesting experience. It was hard, but I did it... even though it looked like snot. And the furry skin was a bit ambiguous.
Anways, I have a few ideas of how my EFF surfaced...
1. It's my parent's fault. I didn't like to try new things, and hey, since they were nice, they catered to me... however I do vividly remember Mom MAKING me try broccoli one time. And meatloaf. I remember taking a bite, chewing as fast as I could, trying to swallow without the taste registering, and quickly combating my gag reflex with a tall glass of Kool-Aid. (I believe it was the green flavor.. whatever that is. Or the pink one)
Disgusting.
2. I was a picky kid. I mean, when in daycare as a 2 or 3 year old, the teacher told my parents that they would really love it if I would try more than just bread sticks at lunch.
3. I am a creature of habit! When asked what my favorite meal was as a 7 year old, I proudly said, "Hamburger Helper, Jiffy Blueberry Muffins, and Jell-O!" ( Now I shudder at this... can you say MSG?)
Anyways, whatever the reason may be, I have been trying to overcome this problem one scary food at a time. It's not exactly that I am scared of trying new things... well, maybe I am. Maybe it's texture, maybe it's color, maybe it's aftertaste.
I have had a few small victories, though. For instance, I finally tried my first strawberry in 9th grade, (however I still shudder to see them when they are a little hairy) I ate a little ranch dressing at the ripe old age of 17, and my latest feat was getting an almond down.. and then a cashew.
So, we take this day by day.
I still have yet to try a peach. Those seem a little shady to me.. and cottage cheese. (Shudder)

1 comment:

The Ball Babies said...

That was random, as your category suggests, but totally funny and original. By the way, I see that Anna girl all over town. I didn't know she was a friend of yours. Funny.