Monday, June 1, 2009

The Latest

So you might be wondering why I haven't written in a while. Well, actually you may not be wondering, in fact I don't even know if there is anyone who reads this. BUT if there is, the thing that has been keeping me away is this little phenomenon in Boise called the "Graduation Party".
Never heard of it? It seems the more people I talk to from out of Boise, the more foreign the concept seems. Here is the basic rundown of a "grad party" for you graduation party newbs.
When one graduates, it is a joyous time, right? Right. So what is the best way for parents to celebrate their child's right of passage? Why, invite all their friends and their child's friends and have a party! In Boise this is very common. In fact, it seems all seniors in high school have one, because in the last 3 days, I have gone to over 10 different parties. In fact, this a very low estimate. At each "party" you go to, there is lots of food, fun, and usually if they are in Wood Duck or Lakewood, there is a plethora of pools and coolers full of beer and other alcoholic beverages for the adults... leading to many tipsy adults and funny moments. :)
Sometimes these gatherings get a little out of hand... a handful of the ones I have been to are restaurant catered, and I commonly hear my classmates trying to one up eachother on how many parties they've gone to in one day. (I think the record is 8 or 11) It's pretty comical.The best part of grad parties is I can truthfully say I have eaten 3 meals at my own home this weekend due to the surplus of parties I've had to go to, since everyone and their dog has had a party... I don't think I've ever eaten so many strawberries and potato salad in my life! Much less graduation cake from Costco... but don't get me wrong, I am definitely not complaining. It's been really fun to be able to just go to people's homes and have them feed you while looking at all their embarrassing childhood pictures and hearing the same cliche graduation songs on various slideshows. I love it! In fact, I adore graduation parties so much that I had one of my own! On Thursday Britni Ward and I had our own little grad gathering, sans the pools and alcohol, but nevertheless it was a good time! I got to see some of my friends I NEVER see, and it was just really fun! I think I owe it to my mother... she knows how to plan a party. :)
So, that is basically the deal. TOMORROW I recieve my diploma. Yes, I will be a graduate! Grandma Virchow, Morgan, and Drake drove down this weekend to see me finish, and I am so happy they could make it. I'm way excited to be done, and stay tuned for pictures and tidbits later!

No comments: