Sunday, August 30, 2009

4 AM

That is the current time, and I am not sleeping. Oh, college.
It's going.... better, to say the least. The first few days here were a bit rocky... all the people, apprehension, and little sleep all filtered into an out of her element Alyssa. At some times I have not been that happy of a camper, but I am proud to say every day gets better here. I am learning to embrace all the new-ness. One thing that has helped me quite a bit this week is a quote I heard in a talk a few weeks back during Education Week here at BYU. A few of the talks were given at the Marriott Center, and since I work there, I was able to listen as I Windexed, swept, and got scuff marks off the floors. One day as I was walking around the building and listening halfway, a line in one particular talk about getting prayers answered stood out to me: "the grass is greener where you water it."
I mulled it over a little, wondering about the pigmentation of my "grass" right now. Since hearing the talk, these words haven't left my head, and it's actually become a sort of mantra to me this week in my search for new friends, success in school, and just keeping a positive attitude altogether. As I've ventured out of my shell, and watered my grass a little, I've discovered what good a little extra effort can do. So, I am going to continue to do what I can to turn my patchy and yellow lawn into something much more rewarding. Funny how easy it can be to just turn on a sprinkler, let it sit, and reap the benefits!

1 comment:

The Ball Babies said...

That's a great attitude to have! Not only at college but for life in general. I wish you were able to sleep though! Do you know what time you were able to finally get some shut eye??? Try to take a nap sometime. (yeah, right!)
Love you!