Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Anita & Alyssa Cook

welcome to week two
tonight I got Spanish fever, so I broke out all the veggies, the rice, and the saffron from Don Quixote's windmills. Paella was made, and it was delicious.
I halfed my recipe because it was only me and Anita, but let me tell you.... by the way we were scraping that pan, it's a good thing we didn't make the whole thing. (I mean, as fun as it is to have bucketloads of rice expanding in your stomach, I'm pretty sure it'll thank me later.)
thankfully, I did not have to de-shell any clams for this one
Vegetarian Paella
- adapted from a mix of recipes I found online
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
some mushrooms, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 c peas
jar of marinated artichoke hearts (cheating. but easier than cutting up a dang alcachofa!)
4 T garlic
3ish cups of rice (my recipe called for 400 g, I measured it all thanks to my scale I got at DI. what's up)
4 c vegetable broth
12 strands of saffron
3 T lemon juice
EVOO, of course.
uno. chop your veggies, saute them all nice and good, but not for too long
dos. boil your broth in another pot stirring in the saffron for 10 minutes
tres. add the garlic to your veggies, mix for about 2 minutes, add the tomatoes, stir for another 2 minutes.
cuatro. add rice to veggies, stirring til rice is a little translucent (whatever that means)
cinco. add your broth, stir, stir, stir, and let simmer and reduce.
seis. when the rice looks about done add the artichoke hearts and lemon juice
siete. take off burner, let rest for about 10. (if you can hardly stand waiting that long)
ocho. a comer! marvel at that badboy, then dish it up and gobble it up.

oh just writing this makes me want to make it again. Do I miss Spain or what.
And now with a full belly I can get back to my anatomy homework and all the other things I know I've forgotten about. Oh, and no major setbacks occured in the kitch today, thanks for asking.