Wednesday, May 25, 2011

can't stop won't stop

cooking.

it's kind of been the theme of my spring so far.
as you may or may not remember, my old roommate anita and i do some weekly cooking where we make a big feast. this week, the dish was chana masala, which is an indian chickpea dish. as i scanned the other day trying to figure out if i needed any last minute things, my eyes caught on one ingredient. garam masala. most of the time i am cheap when it comes to weird spices and just leave them out.
this dish was different. i mean, if the name of the dish has masala in it, i figured i should probably go ahead and buy some garam masala. the only problem was i had never in my life seen this in any spice cabinet i'd ever seen.

there was just one option. that option was to venture to the bollywood market. i was on a time crunch after work due to an OSHA meeting (more to come on that later) and some inconvenient construction off the provo exit, so i figured this little trip to india would be in and out. luckily i found a parking spot right outside so i parked, ran inside, and asked the lady where i could find garam masala between all the unfamiliar powders that lined the walls. she looked around, pulled it down, and told me it would be 2.99. alright, not bad. i handed her my card. she told me that, sadly, my purchase had to be over 5 bucks to use credit. my eyes quickly scanned the shelves as i tried to decide between different pastes and powders as the lady sang along with some good bollywood tunes. i grabbed a can of this and threw it down.
as i walked out, i looked a little closer at my recent purchase.
coconut cream? what in the world is that even used for?
needless to say, this little can has sparked quite some google search.

i will keep you all posted on my creation. hopefully it turns out. all i know is as i walked out all i could think was, man... that could have been delicious yogurtland instead of a measly can of creamed coconut... 

if it's good, great. if it's not, well, moral of the story is carry cash.

No comments: