Saturday, October 8, 2011

split pea soup.

the cold weather caught me off guard at first when it kidnapped my high 80s temps, but now i think i've developed stockholm syndrome.... its fine. it's also fine that i had to google ("fall in love with kidnapper" to remember what that was called. i love technology) hey, anything that gives me an excuse to unpack my sweaters and lay on my couch cocooned in a blanket. 
october has made me mildly obsessed with two things right now.
soup.
 and pumpkin. (per chef kelsey.. heaven forbid i bake something)
have you ever tasted a split pea? my guess is yes... when you were about 18 months old and your mom was doing her own rendition of "here comes the plane". lets just say the split pea bin at sunflower market intrigued me this week. after this soup, well, i'm a believer.

split pea soup
serves 2

1 c split peas, picked over, rinsed
1/2 onion, chopped
spoonful of coconut oil
2.5 c water
small potato, chopped
medium carrot, chopped
dried basil
dried oregano
dried parsley
s + p

1. on medium heat, saute onion in coconut oil. salt and cook for 2 minutes
2. add peas, water, potato, and carrot. bring to boil, then reduce to simmer
3. add all spices to taste- i never measure. simmer until vegetables are soft, but split peas are still toothsome.
4. pour half the soup into a blender and blend to baby food consistency (sick... but delicious) return blended soup to pan and mix together, adding copious amounts of salt and pepper.
5. dish up. don't burn your tongue!

No comments: